Who needs a visa for Kenya?
- Application procedure (incl. Embassy's closing days)
Do not forget to check
A visa is required for entry by all visitors travelling to Kenya, including EU citizens.
The following exceptions apply:
Exemption from visa:
- Children aged 16 and below. (Note: this exemption does not apply to the East Africa tourist visa).
- Holders of a re-entry pass to Kenya, holders of an EU laissez-passer (travelling on official business), aircraft passengers not leaving the international transit zone of the Nairobi and Mombasa airports, and certain other categories of persons. Click here for the list.
- Citizens of countries whose nationals do not require visas. Click here for the list.
- Click here for a list of persons who are issued with gratis visas.
- Click here for a list of nationals, including people with stateless/refugee status, who must apply for a "referred" visa, i.e. obtain approval from the Kenyan Immigration authorities. (They may not obtain their visa upon arrival at the border.)
- Please note the specific application procedure (page 2-3).
Visa applications are by appointment only, by telephone or email the Visa/Consular Section.
Check the "About the Embassy" section of the website for a list of days when the Embassy is closed.
Payment of visa fees is by Bancontact only. Credit cards are not accepted.
Please note that if you wish to apply for a visa through the post, the relevant fee is to be transferred into the Embassy's bank account (BE07 3100 5224 2266). For more information on bank transfers, see the "list of required documents" herebelow.
Application form & useful information
Click here to download "Information on types of visas & fees" (Types & frais de visa / Soorten visums & visumkosten).
Click here to download the "visa application form" (formulaire de demande / aanvraagformulier). Kindly print the form on a single sheet of paper (both sides) and staple the photograph to it.
To download the "list of required documents" (liste de documents requis / lijst van benodigde documenten), click on:
The "list of required documents" applies to EU nationals. It also applies to applicants of any other nationality which is not specified in the "exceptions" listed at the top of this webpage.
Visitors who wish to apply for an "East Africa" tourist visa (valid for a joint visit of Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda) at an embassy of one of the three countries, must do so at the embassy of the first country of arrival. (For "referred visas": check the "Information on types of visas & fees".)
Travellers may also obtain a visa upon arrival at the point of entry in Kenya, but note that some airlines may require a visa before departure and may refuse boarding otherwise.
ONLINE (EVISA) APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Travellers who wish to obtain an electronic visa, can submit their online application to the following website: evisa.go.ke.
For more information on the procedures:
The Kenyan Immigration Department warns visa applicants against a fake website which has been designed to resemble the official website for online visa applications. The website, http://www.kenya-evisa-online.com, fraudulently charges USD 120 for normal applicants (3 working days) and USD 130 for urgent applications (1 working day).
The scam website has the following similarities to the official website:
- use of the official eVisa logo at the top (banner)
- Kenyan flag displayed prominently at the top
- link to the official government webiste (VISIT GOV WEBSITE) at the top
- it does not display the webpage or company name anywhere
- the disclaimer that it is not an official government website appears in small print at the bottom of the page
The Government of Kenya is not responsble for any loss of revenue or unnecessary extra expenditure following the use of this fake website.